Saturday, September 12, 2009

Reflections on VoiceThread

After working with VoiceThread for our latest group project, I have learned a lot about its capabilities and applications. One of the neatest things about VT is that it is an incredibly flexible tool; it can be used for any subject area and any grade level. VoiceThreads can be molded for any academic need. Integrating VTs into the curriculum not only gets students excited about learning, but also can extend their learning outside the classroom walls and into their own homes. VoiceThread technology is very similar to other technologies that students engage with on a daily basis like Instant Messenger and Facebook. VoiceThread could easily get worked into their nightly online routines.

The four kids that I had comment on my Math VT took some time in the morning to make their comments; all the other students were intrigued by what they were doing and kept giving longing glances at the computer screens. Based on their response, I developed a S.S. project they will complete using VT. They will be explaining the causes of the Civil War using pictures and narration, and then the class will get an opportunity to make comments on their presentation. I'm excited to see how it will turn out! I'm also excited to see how some of my students react to the project. Every class has certain students that are more withdrawn and reserved than others. Another cool thing about VT is that it gives every student a voice and allows them to participate in a non-threatening manner.

After viewing my Math VT, I realized what a great assessment tool VT is as well. Based on their comments, I could figure out what misconceptions still existed when it came to what we were studying in Math. I do believe it is important for us as teachers to vary our assessment techniques to guarantee student success. VT is a great tool to add to the mix!

1 comment:

  1. Great comments about how VoiceThreads can be used! I know what you mean about the other students begging to do the project. Due to time limitations, I only recorded five students retelling a story. I would have loved to have had the time to record them all. I explained that we would do more with VoiceThread in the future and that "everyone would be heard!"

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.