Monday, November 9, 2009

Reflections on PBL

As our PBL Project draws to a close, I am left with many thoughts and ideas when it comes to implementing this model in my own classroom. Since student projects are a cornerstone of my teaching as it is, I don't think it would be too hard of a transition to make the learning more authentic and connected for my students. An immediate thought that come to mind when I think of project-based learning is all the time that must go into planning the projects. Nowadays we have to be super-focused on our teaching standards. Is it possible to cover all our teaching standards using the PBL model? If I could get my entire grade-level team on board to try out PBL, I imagine some powerful planning could take place if we all put our heads together to create worthwhile and real-world projects for our kids to engage in.

There is no doubt in my mind that kids are more engaged when they are the ones creating and doing. I can see that in every project we do. However, I think an aspect of PBL that I still struggle with is handing over the reins to my students. I agree that they should be able to pursue their interests and are more engaged that way, but what about the students that lack direction? I think some students are comforted by the more traditional rubric that I provide to them with every assignment. It gives them security in their learning because they know exactly what to do on every assignment. I can see students like that struggling at first in a more PBL environment. I am looking forward to using the knowledge I have gained through the development of my activity plan, the collaboration with my group, and the PBL readings we have done. As I gain more confidence in the process, I can see my students benefiting greatly in both their learning and their engagement.

2 comments:

  1. I believe you can still provide a rubric to guide students as they work on a project-based learning assignment. It just needs to allow for student creativity and diversity of thinking. That said, I don't believe I would be very good at developing such rubrics for all PBL projects. You are right- it is a lot of work. A great deal of planning is involved (I know that all too well from the amount of time I have devoted to this small project in this course!). You would be able to share the workload if you could get members of your grade level on board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think a rubric can be used to guide the work on the project. You are so right that some students lack direction.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.